Monroe #8, the last country school in the area, now a Museum

In 1994, led by the Walnut Creek Historical Society, our community succeeded in opening a new museum site, after  relocating a one-room school from Monroe Township (north of town) to downtown Walnut.  

 

An idea

Monroe #8 school was the last country school in the area still standing, and still in good shape.  It was built in 1931, and in 1949 it was closed as a school.  In the 90s, the landowner, Ralph Hansen, needed to farm the land it stood on but wanted to make sure the building was moved and used.  Enter Letty Johnson and Ruby Anderson, who were elected co-chairs of the project.  They were with the Walnut Creek Historical Society, but knew this would take an entire community to pull off.

How it Looks Today

402-960-5771

304 Antique City Drive; Walnut, IA 51577

©2019 by Walnut Creek Historical Society and Museum. Proudly created with Wix.com